Stockholm offers tons of opportunities to travelers so that they can have a great time with friends or family. The capital city of Sweden is stretched along an array of islands and is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places in the world. No wonder it has become a tourist magnet in recent years.
People want to visit the capital of Sweden not just to enjoy amazing natural scenic locations and ferry rides but also to explore some ancient buildings as well as modern Scandinavian architecture. Although it’s expensive, you can manage to cut some of the budget to see this city, and it is recommended to pay it a visit at least once in a lifetime.
In this post, we will look at some tips to enjoy this city on a budget and explore 10 popular attractions in Stockholm, Sweden to help you plan a thoroughly enjoyable trip.
How to Enjoy Stockholm on Budget.
The vacation budget is usually limited, so it’s important to learn some things beforehand so that you can make your tour more worthwhile.
Here are a few tips to enjoy Stockholm even if you don’t have a lot of money.
- Explore the city on foot. There is no need to book expensive tours when you can take a free walking tour to see all the major sights in the city.
- Keep in mind that eating out in Stockholm can be very expensive. Be prepared to devour on homemade food if you want to visit all the popular attractions.
- There are parks in the city that have no entrance fee. It is recommended to visit these parks, especially if you are traveling with kids, to have some peaceful time without having to spend all that money.
- In addition to parks, there are also some museums in Stockholm that are totally free. Some museums will have free hours in a day, so be sure to learn about these places and visit them to save money.
- Public ferries are relatively cheaper than cruises and tours from the city to see the archipelago.
- To save on transportation, it is recommended to buy the unlimited card, on which you can travel to just about any destination for seven days.
- Find the cheapest accommodation in the city to save on hotel costs. If you avail those popular vacation rentals, you can actually find a place that doesn’t cost a lot.
It is always a good idea to do a little research before visiting a new city. Even if you have visited Stockholm in the past, these tips would come in handy to enjoy a budget tour and get a chance to see a maximum of attractions in a short span of time.
10 Popular Attractions in Stockholm, Sweden.
Whether you are here for the entire week or just 2 days, there are so many places in Stockholm to explore. It depends on your liking and preferences to choose the places to see. There are museums, parks, historical landmarks, shopping malls and art galleries scattered throughout the city that you can enjoy with the entire family.
Here we explore 10 most famous places in Stockholm.
National Museum of Sweden.
The National Museum is a wonder in itself, a great architecture that can be enjoyed alone or with family. You will find around half a million drawings from the Middle Ages, as well as masterpieces by famous Dutch painters.
Also known as the Royal Palace, it is a location where you can spend your entire day. The King of Sweden lives here, and it is a building that dates back to the 18th century.
Gamla Stan means Old Town, which is a place in Stockholm housing buildings that date back to 1200’s as well as many cafes, restaurants and shops. If you want to enjoy the true Swedish culture, this place is a must-see.
This is a small island located in the heart of the city. You can have a great time here, simply taking a stroll with a loved one or exploring Stockholm’s famous museums and other attractions.
National Library of Sweden.
This is a historical masterpiece that you have got to see if you enjoy looking at old architectures. You can find just about any kind of printed material in this library that was published in Sweden from the 1600’s till date.
Fotografiska is a premium photography museum located in Stockholm that houses contemporary masterpieces. There is a cafe, a restaurant and a store inside the complex.
The City Hall.
If you want to see the top iconic building in Stockholm, be sure to pay the City Hall a visit. This is located on the water’s edge and can be identified easily because of the three golden crowns on top.
If you want to see a modern art museum, visit Moderna Museet in Stockholm. It is a must-see attraction for art lovers. There is also a restaurant, a shop, a cafe and a gallery of exhibits inside the complex.
You will find almost all famous boutiques in this shopping mall, which is considered one of the best shopping areas in the city. It is not just a mall, but a complete package of entertainment for the entire family.
If you want to get the true feeling of fine dining in Sweden, visit this lovely restaurant in the heart of Stockholm. It is located in the same building as the Royal Swedish Opera, and hence the name.
Stockholm is best explored on foot, which doesn’t seem like a bad idea, especially when you find out that the city is more expensive than all major cities in Europe. If you are planning on visiting the “Venice of the North” to see some of the amazing locations, you have come to right place.
In this post, we have not only looked at 10 popular attractions in Stockholm, Sweden but also discussed some tips on saving money and making your trip more enjoyable.
Also read the article: Fascinating Travel to Nicosia, Cyprus