Bogota, the capital city of Colombia, is known around the world for its historical landmarks. Some buildings here date back to the colonial era, and there are some museums in the city that display gold pieces from the pre-Columbian era.
Bogota is a safe place for vacation; in fact, it is an attractive destination for people who love history.
However, street crime has not been eradicated completely and therefore travelers must take care of their luggage and belongings to stay away from trouble.
It is recommended to ask a local about your day plans so that they would suggest the best possible route. Not only will it be the shortest route, but also the safest. What should you not miss in Bogota, Colombia – travel tips are going to prepare you for any danger or unexpected event and take the best steps to get out of trouble.
What Should You Not Miss in Bogota, Colombia? Travel Tips.
It’s a good idea to do some research before you head to any foreign land so make your visit more worthwhile. From finding the best sites to visit in a short time to making your trip safer, there are practical tips for every aspect of your travel.
So, let’s have a look at some travel tips that would be helpful for your next trip to the city of Bogota.
- There might be pickpockets on crowded buses and other public places, so you need to be very careful in looking after your belongings.
- It is recommended to see the city during the day and avoid going out at night, especially if you’re alone and visiting Bogota for the first time.
- Since Bogota is a big city with a large number of tourist spots, you are advised to shortlist the top attractions to see every aspect of the city in a short span of time.
- Bogota’s walking tours are famous all around the world, so don’t forget to be a part of one of these free tours to explore the city on foot.
- The city’s street art is also something that you shouldn’t miss out on. You can take one of the graffiti tours to witness some amazing art.
- Plaza Bolivar is Bogota’s main square, and it is a place worth-visiting, but at the same time it is advised not to wander too far away from this place to avoid danger.
- The city experts advise travelers to avoid Ciudad Bolivar in Bogota at all costs because there might be dangerous robbers lurking around.
- Many tourists like to hike back to the ground when they visit Cerro de Monserrate, but it is not recommended if the night has fallen. The place is also not safe after rainfall.
- La Candelaria is another famous tourist spot in Bogota, but the hostels around this area are not safe. It is advisable to avoid these places or travel in groups to stay away from danger.
- Never show that you’re a foreign traveler in the city by dressing up too ostentatiously. It is also not a good idea to wear expensive jewelry while you’re on one of those walking tours.
- Always find an ATM in a crowded place instead of a secluded area. It is best to use machines in shopping malls while you’re shopping.
- Bogota’s nightlife is famous and if you want to enjoy it, you need to be very careful while walking back to your accommodation. Hiring a taxi is not a good idea if you’re alone.
- It is possible to order a radio cab from one of the reliable taxi companies in the city. Use this option to avoid dangers of street crime.
Bogota’s Top Attractions.
While Bogota is best known for its historical landmarks, there are some hidden gems in the city that you must see during your stay. Here is a list of the top attractions in the city to help you plan a successful vacation.
- Paloquemao Market – If you want to know what old traditional markets looked like, pay a visit to this market in Bogota. Here you will come across some of the most exotic fruits and vegetables in order to get the true taste of Colombia.
- Historic Churches – To admire the beauty and magnificence of unique European churches, you have got to see some historic churches in the city of Bogota. One example is Iglesia de San Francisco, which a popular tourist destination.
- Gold Museum – Another site that you should not miss out on while vacationing in Bogota is the Gold Museum. The museum houses some incredible gold pieces from the pre-Hispanic era, along with a large number of other artifacts.
- Cerro de Monteseratte – A hill that stands tall and houses a miraculous church on top is one of the iconic landmarks in Bogota. If you want to get the feel of true Bogota, seeing this church is a must. From the top of the mountain, you can view the entire city, which is a breathtaking view.
- La Puerta Falsa – It is one of those hidden gems that you must explore in the city, especially if you want to see a 200 year old cafe. It is located just around the corner and can be explored when you visit the famous Plaza Bolivar. You will be able to taste local Colombian dishes here, including tamales.
Bogota is definitely worth a visit owing to its rich culture and vibrant nightlife. The city has been made quite safer for travelers and now there are public transport facilities everywhere to make the commute easy even for the first-timers. Still, there are some precautionary measures that every traveler must follow in order to avoid getting into trouble.
What should you not miss in Bogota, Colombia – travel tips have been compiled to ensure a safe vacation in this beautiful city and return back home safe and sound. In this post, you will not only learn some practical tips, but also find out about the most popular tourist spots and some hidden gems to explore in Bogota to make your trip more enjoyable.
Read an interesting post: What is The History of Turkey?